Coconut Sweetbread [Recipe] + Only 6 Days Left in my Special Patreon Famalay Offer!
A while back on my Instagram/Facebook Stories I asked which recipes I should post next. Coconut sweetbread was a popular choice! What a great excuse to get flour back on my hands, which is exactly what I did to prepare this loaf for my most recent Potluck & a Movie event in September. It was a major hit! In fact, many often comment that they love the “old-time” feeling it invokes.
At first glance it might seem heretical to leave out the mixed peel but the majority of the sweetbreads my household received when I was at my youngest were made only with raisins and coconut and that is, to this day, how I much prefer them made. I share more about, that as well as, my recipe in my ebook “Glam by Request: 30+ Easy Caribbean Recipes”.
Excerpt: From “Glam By Request: 30+ Easy Caribbean Recipes
Growing up coconut sweetbread was a treat that I looked forward to with wide open eyes. Dropped off by a myriad of ‘aunts’, it always arrived wrapped in plastic cling or aluminum foil. Soft with a thick brown crust that glistened with sugar crystals, raisins and chunks of sweet dry coconut meat were studded throughout. That’s how I remember it.
I took the book down for sale in 2015 when caring for my dad left no time for customer support but I have just re-uploaded it, as well as my second e-book “Holiday Glam: 30+ Festive Caribbean Recipes”, as free downloads to those who join my Patreon Family by November 17, at the $5USD level!
I am currently in the process of updating the recipes in those original first editions of my e-books. This first recipe (coconut sweetbread) was one of those that got a makeover! And I’m sharing it with all of you!
p.s. We’re currently 65% of the way to hitting our first goal and it’s my hope that we’ll do so, with your help, by the deadline! Pledges start at just $1 USD and will give you UNLIMITED ACCESS to exclusive videos, recipes, and MORE! Simply click here to learn more!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 cup finely grated fresh coconut (you can add up to 2 cups if you really want to intensify the coconut flavor but the bread will get more crumbly as you increase this amount)
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon mixed essence or vanilla
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup coarse brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350oF (325oF if using a black tin)
- Grease and flour a 12-inch loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in coconut, sugar, raisins.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, essence and butter.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ones, mixing lightly but throughly so all ingredients are combined. (Do not knead or use your hands at any point)
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar onto top of batter.
- Bake for 55-75 minutes (until tester comes out clean).
- TIP: Rotate pan every 30 minutes to ensure even browning. If crust is brown a'er 55 minutes, but bread is not ready, lower heat by 25oF and tent top with foil.