- TriniGourmet.com - http://trinigourmet.com -
Stuffed Melongene (recipe)
Posted By Sarina On December 23, 2011 @ 10:37 am In beef,meat,sides | Comments Disabled
Whether you call it melongene, eggplant, aubergine or garden egg, you’re referring to one of my favorite ingredients. And when you are talking about Stuffed Melongene you are definitely referring to one of my favorite dishes. It’s such a favorite that my mother makes it for me every birthday. I look forward to it more than the cake!
Creamy, buttery, chewy on the outside from the charred skin, and sweet on top from the ketchup, my mother’s recipe to me is close to the ultimate comfort food If you wanted to turn this into a vegetarian favorite I would simply use more breadcrumbs or christophene (cho cho/chayote) in place of the meat or any leftover chopped vegetables.
1 large melongene (eggplant/aubergine/garden egg)
1 cup cooked minced meat
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
3 tbs margarine or olive oil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1. Wash melongenes and cut off head.
2. Halve lengthwise
3. Sprinkle with salt and let drain for about 20 minutes
4. Place melongene halves, skin-side up in a large pot.
5. Pour enough water to barely cover the melongene slices
6. Cover pot and steam until tender
7. Scoop out pulp, leaving a thin shell
8. Dice pulp and cook in margarine/olive oil in a covered pan over low heat for about 15 minutes
9. Remove from heat and mix with the rest of the ingredients
10. Spoon mixture into melongene ‘shells’.
11. Place melongene shells onto a greased baking dish.
12. Drizzle with olive oil/melted margarine and then cover with ketchup
13. Bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes
This recipe is an exclusive TriniGourmet original. Please do not share it or post it to your site without crediting TriniGourmet.com  and linking back to this site
This post was originally published November 21, 2006. It has been updated twice since then.
Article printed from TriniGourmet.com: http://trinigourmet.com
URL to article: http://trinigourmet.com/index.php/stuffed-melongene/
URLs in this post:
 TriniGourmet.com: http://TriniGourmet.com
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Sarina: http://trinigourmet.com/index.php/author/sarinanow/
 "Glam By Request: 30+ Easy Caribbean Recipes": http://www.GlamByRequest.com
All text and images copyright TriniGourmet.com unless stated otherwise