- TriniGourmet.com - http://www.trinigourmet.com -
Posted By Sarina On March 7, 2009 @ 2:03 am In appetizers,beans,gluten free,pareve,snacks,vegan,vegetarian | Comments Disabled
Hummus is a never-fail crowd pleaser and so deceptively easy to prepare! I love to offer hummus as a starter at Purim because chickpeas figure so prominently in the Purim story. This recipe comes from one of my favourite cookbooks The Sephardic Table: The Vibrant Cooking of the Mediterranean Jews  (you can read my review here ). Although I have tried many hummus recipes and am not opposed the occasional variation, this is the one I return to time and time again.
Source: The Sephardic Table: The Vibrant Cooking of the Mediterranean Jews 
2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
3 cloves, garlic crushed
1 cup tahini
juice from 2 lemons, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 cup pine nuts or handful of chickpeas for garnish
olive oil, for garnisih
paprika or cayenne pepper, for garnish.
1. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, puree the chickpeas and garlic
2. Add the tahini, lemon juice andsalt.
3. Continue to blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Add a little water for a smoother consistency, if desired
5. If you are using the pine nuts for garnish, toast them in a small skilley over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes , or until golden. set aside to cool
6. To serve, spoon the hummus onto a serving plate or into a serving bowl.
7. Make a slight hollow in the center of the mound and place the pine nuts or whole whole chickpeas in it. Drizzle a little olive oil on top and sprinkle with paprika or cayenne.
8. Serve chilled or at room temperature
Article printed from TriniGourmet.com: http://www.trinigourmet.com
URL to article: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/hummus-recipe/
URLs in this post:
 The Sephardic Table: The Vibrant Cooking of the Mediterranean Jews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395892600?ie=UTF8&tag=trinigourmetc-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0395892600
 read my review here: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/the-sephardic-table-pamela-grau-twena/
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 Sarina: http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/author/sarinanow/
 "Glam By Request: 30+ Easy Caribbean Recipes": http://www.GlamByRequest.com
All text and images copyright TriniGourmet.com unless stated otherwise